Unstuffed Cabbage Roll Soup: Incredibly easy and the flavor is out-of-this-world! A winter staple soup! Trim Healthy Mama Diet (S) Meal.
Hey there, friend. How has your week been – it’s Friday? We’ve had a pretty snowy week and am looking forward to seeing warmer temperatures.
Speaking of the temperatures, the other day I started to crave St. Patrick’s Day foods – like shepherd’s pie, cabbage rolls, corned beef, and Guinness. Of course, I didn’t have everything at once or hardly any of it, definitely looking forward to making all of those yummy dishes in March. Now I did make a fantastic unstuffed cabbage roll soup because of the how the weather has been – brrrrr.
There are two ways you can make it, with or without the rice. I made it without the rice, but I will tell you how to make it with in the notes section of the recipe.
Last year, I started to dab into the trim healthy mama diet and I am going to try to start it again. It’s really hard because I love comfort food, which means carbs and fats in the same dish. I am starting to tweak things already and I will have a full post up next week for you detailing everything. Sorry to leave ya hangin’!
So this unstuffed cabbage soup is so good, my friend. I think you will like it – no, I think you will love it. It really is that good and warms you up inside. Since it is Friday, feel free to serve with a cocktail or beer of your choice! 🙂 Or you can enjoy one while you are making this and I will tell you, it only takes 20-30 minutes from start to finish.
One more thing I should tell you about this amazing recipe. You can either make it with 1/2 pound of ground beef or 1 pound, all depends on how meaty you like your soup. For us, I used 1/2 pound and there was plenty of meat in the soup.
- ½ - 1 pound ground beef
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 and ½ cups water or beef stock
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 medium cabbage, sliced into thin strips then diced
- 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon worchestire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon pepper, to taste if needed
- ½ teaspoon salt, to taste if needed
- rice (optional, to serve with)
- In a large pot, add the ground beef and diced onion. Simmer over medium-heat until the ground beef is cooked through.
- Add in the water or beef stock, minced garlic, cabbage, tomatoes, worchestire sauce, basil, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium-heat for at least 20 minutes.
- Serve with rice (optional.)
Other recipes you might enjoy: