The really is the best potato soup ever recipe! You can have dinner ready and served in 20 minutes! A family-favorite.
During the winter our family absolutely loves comfort food, which includes soup and stews. We cannot get enough of them! A couple of times a month, we love to enjoy potato soup and I have finally perfected it, so it really is the best potato soup ever. We will be making it this way from now on because it really is that great.
Did I mention how easy and quick this soup can be made? It only takes a few minutes for the prep work and it’s ready in just 20 minutes from start to finish. Oh, how I love those kind of recipes – simple, quick, and delicious.
If you prefer to have it cook slow, you can always add everything to your slow cooker and allow it to cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Such a versatile recipe.
There is one thing in this recipe that you do not want to leave out – it’s the bacon grease. It might not be the healthiest, but it adds so much flavor. You can add all of it or just a little until it suits your taste.
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 3 large russet potatoes diced into bite-sized pieces
- 3 and ½ cups milk
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme
- bacon grease optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 bacon pieces cooked and crumbled
- shredded cheese optional for topping
- In a large pot, saute the onions and garlic it the oil over medium-heat; saute until the onions are tender and have caramelized. Whisk in the flour, and add in the milk and chicken or vegetable stock; whisking everything together until the flour has incorporated into the mixture.
- Add in the potatoes, fresh thyme, bacon grease, salt and pepper. Cook over medium-heat for 20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Top with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese.
Other recipes you might enjoy: