A soft, moist, and easy-to-make coffee crumb cake recipe that is heavy on the crumbs. Everyone will love it!
I have been trying to make the perfect and I mean perfect coffee crumb cake and I finally nailed it. I am super excited to share this awesome coffee crumb cake recipe with you!
With a coffee cake it has to have a lot of crumbs – who doesn’t like the crumb? Every time I eat a piece, I always scrap off the crumbs and eat the moist cake first, and then I will tackle the crumbs and savor every last bite.
What can I say… I’m a crumbsaholic! Are you?
I know you will love this coffee crumb cake because it has mile-high crumbs and the cake part is super-moist. The super-moist part is from the buttermilk. Adding buttermilk to cupcakes and cakes always makes them super-moist – gotta love it!
Not only will you love the taste, but you will love it because it is one of the easiest coffee cake recipes ever – no mixer is required. You will only have to let it cool for a good 2 hours after it has finished baking – it will be hot.
For the recipe you will need buttermilk, you can use homemade or store-bought. I like to use homemade and add a teaspoon of vinegar to one cup of milk and let it sit for 10 minutes. Easy, right?
You will also need all-purpose flour, white granulated sugar, salt, unsalted butter (not fully softened, but still cold to the touch), baking soda, baking powder, an egg, brown sugar, and cinnamon.
I love this recipe because you will mix together the dry ingredients for the cake mixture and then remove 1 cup of the dry ingredients for the crumb topping. You will add brown sugar and cinnamon to the 1 cup of removed dry ingredients.
For the butter, you will want it to sit out until it softens up, but not fully. You still want the butter to be cold to the touch.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 and ¼ stick unsalted butter, softened but cold to the touch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup buttermilk, room temperature*
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅔ cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9-inch pie pan* with cooking spray or butter. Sprinkle flour on the bottom of the pan and tap out the excess. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the flour and sugar. Cut in the butter with small pieces until it resembles course crumbs. Set aside 1 cup of the mixture and set aside.
- Mix in the salt, baking soda, and baking powder into the remaining flour mixer.
- Add in the room temperature buttermilk and egg and mix together. Add in the vanilla extract.
- Pour the cake mixture into the pan.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl with the 1 cup of flour mixture removed.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping that you just mixed together onto of the cake. Bake for 45 minutes.
- Allow to cool at room temperature for 2 hours.
- Stores in an airtight container for one week.
- *You may use homemade buttermilk or store-bought. If using homemade add 1 teaspoon to the ¾ cup.
- *If you do not have a 9-inch pie pan you can use an 9x9 square baking dish.
Other recipes you might enjoy: