A delicious basic vanilla cupcake recipe with a light and fluffy vanilla buttercream frosting. No need for boxed mixes anymore!
I cannot believe it is already Thursday – this week has flown by! I have been talking to you all this week, but have been doing with some personal issues.
I really missed being in the kitchen as much and I missed you all.
I thought I would share my favorite basic vanilla cupcake recipe and my all-time favorite fluffy and delicious vanilla buttercream frosting. I always use this as my base cupcake recipe – has never failed me! I think you all will L-O-V-E it!
Did I mention that you can make this recipe without even breaking out the mixer? Oh yeah – my favorite.
I love how moist and fluffy these vanilla cupcakes are. I always add buttermilk into the recipe because it gives it the perfect moistness. Tastes almost like a light and fluffy pound cake. I love me some pound cake.
We do not usually carry vanilla beans around here, well because they can be a little pricey. If you have vanilla beans on hand, then you can always use them – check the note section of the recipe.
If you do not have vanilla beans, don’t worry, you can always just use vanilla extract – I did and they have a perfect vanilla taste!
All you really need to make these awesome vanilla cupcakes are sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, buttermilk, oil, flour, baking soda, and salt!
The vanilla buttercream frosting is also very simple as well and you only need butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and heavy cream.
- 1 cup buttermilk 1 cup milk + 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup oil I used vegetable oil, but you can use canola oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup 2 sticks unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with 12 cupcakes liners. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix together the buttermilk, egg, and oil. Add in the vanilla extract. If you are using milk and vinegar for buttermilk, then allow it to set for 5 minutes, then add it into the recipe.
- Stir in the sugar.
- Slowly mix in the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients: flour, salt, and baking soda.
- Pour the cupcake batter into the cupcake liners and fill 3/4 of the way. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Allow the cupcakes to completely cool.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the buttercream frosting by mixing the butter on high for 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and mix on medium speed. Mix until all of the powdered sugar has been added.
- Add in the heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Frosting the cool cupcakes. There might be leftover frosting depending on how much you used on each cupcake.
If you have vanilla beans on hand, add in 1/2 split vanilla bean with seeds scraped.
Store cupcakes in an airtight container at room temperature for 3 days and in the refrigerator for one week.