Spinach Lasagna Roll-Up Recipe: An incredible easy weeknight or weekend dinner the entire family will enjoy! Step-by-step photos included!
If someone were to ask me what my favorite food was, I think lasagna might be one of the tops. What’s not to love – tons of sauce, pasta, cheese, more sauce, and more cheese. It’s pure comfort food, yep.
We really love comfort food, like these spinach lasanga roll-ups, during the cold, winter months! Last night and today it is really cold here, hovering right around 0 degrees Fahrenheit. Come on Spring…can you please get here sooner? We had a mild winter and then February came around and that’s another story. Brrrr.
Please do not mind me while I go munch on one of these warm and savory roll-ups to warm my belly up. Yeah, these roll-ups will warm you up inside. The best feeling ever when it’s so cold. Wouldn’t you agree?
These spinach lasanga roll-ups are out-of-this-world delicious. Even though they do not contain any meat, the homemade sauce makes up for it and some. You will love it! The best part, they do not take too long to assemble and the sauce does not need to simmer all day. If you do have the available time to allow it to simmer all day, then do it – so good. Either way; I love it and I know you will too, my friend.
If you have never made lasagna roll-ups before, there are step-by-step photos below the recipe. Not every step is there, but it’s still easy to follow along. In this recipe you can use fresh or frozen spinach. If you are using frozen spinach, be sure not to get rid of all of the water in the spinach. It allows the mixture inside of the roll-ups to be moist. You will also need to make sure you are using the correct sized baking dish. You will need two. I like to use this one and it’s perfect.
- Tomato Sauce:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 28 ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 3 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- salt and pepper to taste
- 10 ounce package of frozen spinach thawed
- 15 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 and ½ cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- ⅔ cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 large egg
- 12 lasagna noodles
- Tomato Sauce:
- Heat the olive oil over medium-heat in a medium sauce pan, add in the diced onions and saute until the onions are translucent. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, minced garlic, dried basil, dried oregano, and dried parsley. Cover with a lid and allow the sauce to simmer for at least 20 minutes over low-to-medium heat.
- While the tomato sauce is simmering, prepare your lasagna noodles according on the directions on the back of the package. Once they are done, drain the water and allow the noodles to cool to touch. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare your filling by mixing together the spinach, ricotta cheese, 1 and ½ cups mozzarella cheese, parmesan cheese, and egg. Set aside.
- Once the noodles have cooled to touch, lay the noodles down on parchment or wax paper on a smooth surface. See photos below.
- Spread ¼ cup of the cheese filling evenly along length of the noodles. Roll the noodles to the opposite end. Pour 1 cup of tomato sauce into the bottom of a 9 x 13 baking dish. Place the lasagna roll-ups into the baking dish, add remaining tomato sauce on top of each roll-up. Place the remaining 1 cup of mozzarella cheese on top. Bake for 25 minutes, or until cooked through.
Other Recipes You Might Enjoy: