I’ve partnered with Idahoan on this sponsored post and all opinions stated are my own.
Southwestern Mashed Potatoes – The easiest and creamiest mashed potatoes loaded with a Southwest twist! Perfect with any meal!
One thing we didn’t have growing up was a big meal for Sunday dinner. It’s one of those times where you feel like it’s okay to go “all out” and prepare a great tasting meal, almost similar to Thanksgiving. Mashed potatoes are always a staple on Sunday dinner so I thought I would give the traditional mashed potatoes a little twist.
Even though these southwestern mashed potatoes have a twist, they still the same nice and smooth taste with just a hint of butter and cream. Continue reading below to see a little trick I use for the easiest mashed potatoes you will ever make. Seriously, friends, they are the easiest.
The base of these southwestern mashed potatoes start with an onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, a jalapeno, and garlic. If you aren’t a big fan of spice, you can always remove the seeds from the jalapeno and if you aren’t afraid of a little spice, then you can certainly leave them in. We love spicy food and these mashed potatoes weren’t overly spicy at all.
The secret to the easiest mashed potatoes is Idahoan Signature Russet Mashed Potatoes! More than six pounds of premium Idahoan russet potatoes go into every 16 ounce package. We love how easy they are! After you sauté the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, and garlic mixture until it’s soften, these mashed potatoes can be made in only 5 minutes. We prefer only a mixture of butter and cream for optional flavor, but you can also use only water.
You can find Idahoan Signature Russet Mashed Potatoes at your local Walmart and Kroger starting September 19th.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (1 cup) finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium jalapeno, finely diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⅔ cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ⅓ cup milk or heavy cream
- 3.25 ounce package Idahoan Signature Russet Mashed Potatoes pouch
- salt and pepper
- Green onions
- Place the oil in a medium sauce pan and then add the onion, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, and jalapeno and saute for 10 minutes or until tender.
- Add the garlic and saute for another 2 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Place the water and butter in a medium sauce pan and heat to a boil.
- Remove from heat, add the milk or heavy cream, then stir in the potatoes. Let stand one minute.
- Mix with a fork and mix the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeno mixture into the potatoes until combined.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Garnish with green onions.