Delicious red velvet cupcakes made from scratch, then topped with traditional buttercream frosting and showered with festive Valentine’s Day sprinkles.
Our cute and festive Valentine’s Day treats are here again! I will have tons more for you too. I love Valentine’s Day, don’t you? 🙂
This weekend I was a little MIA because I was spring-like cleaning. Our bedroom really needed a deep clean and the laundry – oh my. I hate to do laundry…just dislike it so much. I do not mind putting it in the washer and dryer, but folding and putting the clothes away – that is another story!
I have been trying to come up with a delicious and moist red velvet cupcake for awhile now and I think these are pretty good. They are not dry at all and do not taste artificial. I would say this is definitely a red velvet cupcake recipe keeper.
These cupcakes do require a mixer – boooo. I really need to get on board with no mixer required cupcake recipes. I am working on some of those real soon for you guys. 🙂 Trust me, you will not be disappointed with these at all, even though they use a mixer because they have tons of red velvet flavor and are super-moist.
Did I mention you can also give them a good shower of cute sprinkles? Valentine’s Day goodies are the best I will ya.
This batter makes about 16 cupcakes – you will have to use two muffin tins if you have them. I do not have two muffins tin so I just baked the rest of the batter after the first batch was done.
You will need to cream together the butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl using a mixer, then add in the wet ingredients and then mix together the dry ingredients. I filled the cupcake liners 3/4 of the way and baked them for 20 minutes.
While the cupcakes were cooling, I made the traditional buttercream frosting and frosted the cooled cupcakes, then showered them with festive sprinkes. Easy, right?
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder unsweetened
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon [red food coloring|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OGD3U6/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B008OGD3U6&linkCode=as2&tag=savcoudea-20]
- 3/4 cup 1 and 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar. While mixing on medium add in the two eggs.
- Bring the speed down to low and mix in the cup. Bring the speed back to medium and add in the vanilla extract.
- Slowly add in the flour and cocoa powder. Make sure to thoroughly mix everything.
- Add in the salt, baking powder, and red food coloring.
- Pour the batter into the cupcake liners 3/4 full and bake for 20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are cooling, prepare the buttercream frosting by cream the butter on high for 1-2 minutes. Slowly add in 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time, then add in the vanilla extract.
- Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle on festive Valentine's Day sprinkles.
Stores in an air-tight container in the refrigerator for one week.