A delicious addition to any type of meal. Many different flavors including butternut squash, dried cranberries, and lemons. Perfect balance of flavors.
I absolutely love non-traditional side dishes at Thanksgiving or any meal, especially this quinoa salad. I love this salad because of those reasons, but it still incorporates a traditional taste of Thanksgiving with the dried cranberries. Anyone would go crazy over this dish because of it’s uniqueness and flavors.
If you are anything like me you still haven’t completed your Thanksgiving grocery shopping and still haven’t planned out your Thanksgiving menu as well. Another reason why this dish is great is because of how quick and easy it is to put it to together. The longest part is cooking the quinoa and that isn’t very long at all!
I will say that is salad is packed full with fall flavors with the butternut squash and dried cranberries. I love how the dried cranberries add just enough sweetness to the dish. Just absolutely amazing and delicious.
One word that sums of this beautiful dish – delicious. Yep. 🙂
Most of these ingredients you will already have on hand because you have completed some of your Thanksgiving grocery shopping or you are shopping the sales. The only thing you might not have on hand is quinoa, but you can find it at many different stores. It is most definitely a staple in our home – we go through it like crazy!
I like to saute the butternut squash real quick in olive oil, salt and pepper real quick because it just brings out the delicious flavors. The lemon honey dressing is also very easy to put together and just tastes amazing on top.
Not only will you impress your guests this holiday season, but you do not have to worry about it not being healthy. It is a very healthy dish that contains of real food – yum. 🙂
- 1 cup [quinoa|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0019GZ7WK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0019GZ7WK&linkCode=as2&tag=savcoudea-20]
- 2 cups [chicken stock|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014EW4PK/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0014EW4PK&linkCode=as2&tag=savcoudea-20]
- 1/2 medium butternut squash peeled, seeded and chopped
- Olive oil salt, and pepper to season the butternut squash
- 1/2 cup [dried cranberries|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WO07K4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B003WO07K4&linkCode=as2&tag=savcoudea-20]
- 2 juiced lemons
- zest of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken stock in a medium pot and let it come to a boil, then add in the quinoa.
- Cook until all of the liquid has been absorbed.
- While the quinoa is cooking, place the chopped butternut squash in a large saucepan with the olive oil, salt, and pepper and cook until tender.
- Once the quinoa and butternut squash has completely cooked, combine the quinoa, butternut squash, and dried cranberries in a [large serving dish.|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000CFTDW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0000CFTDW&linkCode=as2&tag=savcoudea-20]
- Whisk together the dressing by combing the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, honey, salt and pepper.
- Pour the dressing on top of the salad.
Here are some other dishes that I think you will love: