Loaded with tons of chocolate with a crunchy crust, super-soft and chewy cookie with tasty cream in the middle. Chocolate sandwich cookies.
Welcome to Day 3 of our 10 Days of Cookies – Chocolate Sandwich Cookies! These cookies remind me of a huge and I mean huge Oreo. Tastes almost the exact same down to the cream in the middle. Absolutely delicious.
If you are a chocolate lover, like me, then these cookies are definitely for you and for anyone this holiday season! I love giving homemade cookies to friends and family. These will be a huge hit in my chocolate loving family, besides my hubby. Vanilla all the way for him. Eh.
Not only are they super delicious, but they are super easy to make as well. 🙂 I always love these types of recipes. Don’t you?
As always, you need to make sure your butter is completely softened at room temperature. I usually just have it sit out 2 hours before I start baking. Sometimes I can’t always remember – using the microwave is okay, but don’t let the butter melt or be too hot.
After that important part is completed all you can to do is cream the butter and sugar, add in the egg and vanilla extract. Incorporate the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, add the chocolate, then bake. Once they have cooled you can whip up the cream filling. Super easy – didn’t I tell you? 🙂
All of these cookies you will see in the next couple of days, these and the Classic Chocolate Chips will all be included in my list of cookies to make for friends and family this year. Tons and tons of baking! My favorite.
- 1 stick unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons [cocoa powder unsweetened|http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001EQ5AHW/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001EQ5AHW&linkCode=as2&tag=savcoudea-20]
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/2 stick unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Cream together the butter and sugar using a stand or a handheld mixer on medium.
- While still mixing on medium, add in the egg and vanilla extract.
- Turn the mixer on low and add in the flour 1/2 cups at a time.
- Add in the cocoa powder, salt, baking soda, and cornstarch.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap and let chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spoon the cookie dough onto the paper or baking mat and bake for 9-10 minutes.
- Let cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the cream filling by whipping the butter and shortening on medium speed with the whisk attachment for 1-2 minutes.
- Add in the powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time, then the vanilla extract.
- Using a pastry knife or a butter knife, spread the cream filling on the bottom of one cookie, then place the other cookie on top.
Stores in the refrigerator for one week.