One-Pot Creamy Sausage and Potato Soup Recipe – So easy with hardly any prep, besides removing the casing from the sausage, with big flavor! Make it in the dutch oven or even in a crockpot. So creamy and not made with Velveeta!
Just the other day I was browsing through my Facebook feed and noticed someone saying, “Happy National Soup Month!” I had no idea January was national soup month.
I almost feel like a foodie failure because I love a big bowl of soup with a huge piece of warm bread on the side. It’s the simple things in life, right?
With that being said, if you are a fan of creamy, potato-loaded soup, you’ve got to make this creamy sausage and potato soup. It’s so easy and done in only one-pot, my handy dandy and favorite dutch oven. No dutch oven? No worries, make it in the slow cooker or a soup pot, just remember it needs to be at least 4-quarts.
For the sausage, you can use any kind your heart dreams. If it’s too fatty, you will need to drain the fat. I should have drained a little more because the liquid had just a little too much fat for my liking. I used hot Italian sausage because we love the flavor.
I will have to tell you, removing the casing from the sausage does take a little hands-on time, but not too much. Only 5 minutes or say, depending on how quick you are or if you do not have any disruptions from little ones or loved ones.
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 1 pound sausage, casing removed and crumbled*
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 pound russet potatoes diced
- ½ cup finely diced carrots
- 5 cups chicken stock
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ tablespoon dried parsley
- salt and pepper, to taste
- scallions, to garnish
- Place the onion, sausage, and garlic into a dutch oven or soup pot and allow the mixture to simmer over medium heat until the sausage is crumbled and cooked through.
- Place the potatoes, carrots, chicken stock, heavy cream, red pepper flakes, oregano and parsley to the mixture.
- Allow the soup come to a boil, then turn the heat down, and then cover with a lid for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve and garnish with fresh scallions.
**Slow Cooker Directions - Add all of the ingredients into the slow cooker. Cook on low for 4 hours or on high for 2.