Soft and fluffy lemon-lime sweet rolls covered in a delicious lemon-lime cream cheese frosting! So easy and delicious!
What’s not to love when you wake up to the entire house smelling like cinnamon rolls…or… even lemon-lime sweet rolls. Sounds like it’s Saturday morning.
I know when I was baking these sweet rolls, my entire house smelled amazing and refreshing with the lemon and lime. It was like heaven!
I know you all will LOVE these because they are super-easy to make and require very little time to rise – only 1 rise.
These remind me of when winter is starting to come to an entire and spring is starting to begin. They are almost like spring in a pan.
If you are a beginner at yeast-baking, please do not worry! I promise you these are so easy to make and you will never go to store-bought or even in a packaged roll again.
They are amazing and oh, so moist and fluffy!
There are just a couple of important things that you will want to remind with yeast, you will need to have your liquids at a warm temperaure, not too hot or too cold – about 115-120 F degrees.
Once you have that down, it’s easy sailing now.
- ½ cup warm water, 115-120F degrees
- ¼ cup warm milk, 115-120F degrees
- 2 and ½ teaspoons unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons granulated sgar
- 2 and ¼ teaspoons yeast
- 2 and ¾ cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- ¼ cup light brown sugar, lightly packaed
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest of 1 lime
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- juice of 1 small lemon
- juice of 1 small lime
- Dough - Heat the milk, water and butter in a small saucepan or in a small bowl in the microwave until warm, about 115-120F degrees. Add the liquid mixture to a large mixing bowl and add in the sugar and yeast. Mix together. Allow the liquid mixture to set for 5-10 minutes or until it's a little foamy on the surface.
- Prepare the flour by setting aside ½ cup. Add in the rest of the flour, 2 and ¼ cups to the liquid mixture. Add in the egg and start mixing on low with a dough-hook attachment. Add in the reserved flour if it is needed in order to make a soft dough. Dough will be ready when it gently pulls away from the sides of the mixing bowl.
- On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough for 5 minutes and then transfer to a lightly oiled bowl and allow it to rest for 10 minutes.
- Filling - In a medium bowl, combine the light brown sugar, granulated sugar, and the lemon and lime zest.
- Once the dough has sat for 10 minutes, roll it out into a 14x8 inch rectangle on a lightly floured surface. Carefully spread the softened butter on top of the dough and sprinkle the filling all over the butter. Roll up the dough tightly and cut into 11-12 even pieces and place in a lightly greased 9-inch pie pan.
- Loosely cover the pan with aluminum foil and allow to rise in a warm place for 60-90 minutes.
- Once the rolls have doubled in size, preheat oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned. You can cover the rolls with aluminum foil after 15 minutes to avoid heavy browning.
- Frosting - Before serving, prepare your cream cheese frosting. Using a stand-mixer or a handheld, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add in the confectioners' sugar, lemon and lime juice and beat on high until creamy. Frost warm rolls and sprinkle on additional lemon and lime zest, if desired.