This post is part of a social shopper marketing insight campaign with Pollinate Media Group® and Hillshire Farm, but all my opinions are my own. #pmedia #nohasslesavorymeal http://my-disclosur.es/OBsstV
Sausage and Creamy Cajun Orzo Skillet – Make dinner a breeze with a meal all made in one skillet in only 20 minutes! So creamy and delicious. Makes for a great meal or a flavorful side-dish!
I am so excited for this recipe today. It’s to the point where I want to stand and shout, “This is one of the easiest meals ever and it’s made all in one skillet! You and your family will love it and I recommend making it today!” That about sums out how I feel about this sausage and Cajun orzo skillet.
This meal all in one skillet (I have to let you know again how easy it is) makes dinnertime a breeze on a busy weeknight. It’s no fuss, and absolutely everything is cooked in this skillet and only this skillet. Makes clean-up even easier, the part everyone seems to love!
Let’s chat about what makes this meal incredibly easy and quick. The main star of this skillet is the sausage. Now it’s not just sausage; it’s smoked sausage already cooked and ready to be sliced from Hillshire Farm. Takes about 2-3 minutes of prep to be ready to add to the skillet.
If you are on a tight budget, like us, we stocked up at our local Kroger banner store and picked up two packages for dinner this week and next for only $5.00 until 4/19/2016 while supplies last! Check to see if your Kroger banner store is participating! Can’t beat that! If so, here are even more recipes to check out.
The secondary ingredients are the orzo and cajun seasonings. If you are familiar with my blog, you may have noticed our favorite baked cajun chicken breasts; we used the same seasoning blend for this creamy cajun orzo. We did omit the garlic and onion powder since we added fresh minced garlic and diced onions to the pan. Do not have any fresh garlic or onions? Just add the garlic and onion powder for a great substitute!
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 14-ounce Hillshire Farm Smoked Sausage sliced into ¼" slices
- ½ cup diced onions
- 6 mini sweet peppers or 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- seasoning from baked cajun chicken breasts, omitting garlic and onion powder
- ½ teaspoon dark chili powder
- 3½ cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups orzo
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- scallions, to garnish (optional)
- Place the oil, smoked sausage, onions, mini sweet peppers, and garlic into a large skillet and sauté until the onions are translucent and fragrant, approximately 5 minutes over medium-to-low heat.
- Add in the Cajun seasoning and dark chili powder and mix until the sausage, mini sweet peppers, and onions are coated.
- Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Add the orzo and stir until combined. Simmer uncovered for 12 minutes or until the orzo is tender.
- Stir in the heavy cream.
- Garnish with diced scallions and serve.